Monday, November 19, 2007

Back in Action

Well the Internet is all happy and working again here, so I'll try to post regularly this coming week. As I mentioned in my last post, I've got the basics working in BudgetSimple - Desktop (still need a good name for this). I didn't do any developing from Thursday-Sunday, so it hasn't progressed much from there, however since I was ahead of schedule I don't think that will hurt my goal of a beta by this weekend any. Thanksgiving may hurt it being a successful beta, since many people may be away from their computers, but hey it's also that time of year that people realize Christmas shopping is making them broke! I'll post some screenshots of my progress tomorrow, and hopefully get some serious developing in tomorrow night. Unless Maryland upsets UCLA...

In other business news, it appears AdSense is finally taking it's Winter hibernation. Perhaps due to Global Warming, I was continuing to get my summer month eCPM on my used cars site into November, and was making record profits for this time of year, however it appears to be going back down again. Also, sometime back I spent considerable time reworking the site to be more search engine friendly. I added a site map and started using mod-rewrite to make every page have it's on URL. Turns out it was only working this way when you searched via form, which of course Google doesn't do. And every page had the same title.... so I fixed all that this weekend, and hopefully PageRank will jump up a little.

2 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Pagerank won't budge from those changes, but you'll see MANY, MANY more hits thanks to the second change, particularly if you choose your page titles well. The use of forms for searching is not ideal but it isn't a terrible deal breaker if your pages were otherwise crawler-accessible (although if you're using forms for *categories* you're in a bit of a pickle compared to categorizing in a crawler-friendly fashion).

Keep up the good work, and let us know if traffic picks up as substantially as I'd expect it would after the title tag fix.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger James said...

Thanks for the encouragement Patrick, you are right it appears Google already was indexing my pages that were using query strings, but hopefully the Title fix will make a difference!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home