Monday, October 23, 2006

What are the odds?

I'm not sure if they assign 800 numbers based on company name, but ever since I got an 888 number for SearTech around this time last year, I've had countless calls from people who are looking for Sears Technical support. Evidently the southern region of Sears hardware support used to have my 800 number, and someone there still has the number in the system to transfer people. So I get an unbelievable number of angry people who have been sent around their phone system... and of course they don't believe since I answer the phone as:

Me - "SearTech, this is Phil"
Angry Sears Customer - "Yeah, hi this is the FIFTH time my refrigerator has broken and I can't believe how many times you guys have transfered me around and..."
Me - "Actually, let me interupt, this is SearTech, not Sears Tech."
ASC - "That's who I'm looking for, because my #$%^%# Fridge is $##%5.."
Me - "No no, SEAR TECH, we make software..."
ASC - "Well, can you transfer me to the right number???"
Me - "Um...no sorry."
ASC - "$%$#%$!@"
-click-

What are the odds that SearTech gets Sears Tech's old number?

2 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I work for a telecom company, I can tell you that we did not assign numbers that way. Granted that we had to get the numbers from Qwest.

Did you request a vanity number?

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger James said...

Nope, not a vanity number... and no combination of the numbers even closely spells "Sear". Just confirms the "weirdest coincidence" theory I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home